Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Virtual Party - Day 2

Welcome to the second day of our Virtual Party! (If you are dropping in just now, please see the pre-party information http://stampinupadventure.blogspot.com/2011/11/virtual-party.html, as well as yesterday's post.)

In a typical, in-home workshop, I would be spending time showing you various things and giving you the chance to make your own projects for which I would provide the supplies. I can't do the latter, but I can at least show you throughout the week different projects and let you know what was used.

I can also highlight specific things I would be highlighting or explaining during a workshop. I thought today I would spend a little time discussing the Classic Stampin' Pads (the regular ink pads).

The Classic Stampin' Pads are nice and big and most Stampin' Up stamps (even large ones) fit just fine on the pad when inking the stamp. The pads are kind of like a puzzle to open, but once you know how, it's a piece of cake. (Ok, the odd pad, when new, can be a little stiff. Just open and close it repeatedly and it gets easier. I have one pad out of all of my pads that's been ornery and opening and closing it a lot has put it in its place!)

They are designed so that when you store them right-side-up, the ink pad inside is facing down. Why? So that the ink stays at the surface instead of settling down into the bottom where your stamp can't reach. To open, you hold it upright, find the 3 dots on the top with your other fingers below, your other hand holding the sides, you press against that edge (where the 3 dots are) horizontally, the top will slide back, then you flip it around. To show you better, since I can't demonstrate for you in person, here is a video I found: http://youtu.be/l0gCmLI-KXs . Now, she doesn't focus on the 3 dots like I said, but you can see the 3 at times. And I don't put my whole hand over--I find it harder to do how she shows it. There is a little "edge" underneath that helps to press against while you push with your thumb on the 3 dots. (This is so much harder to explain without the accompanying visual! I might have to take up doing videos! lol)

These ink pads come in all of the card stock colours (well, except Whisper White and Very Vanilla, understandably)--that means that there are 48 different colours to choose from. Yes, that's a lot of colours! If you find it hard to choose, a common recommendation is to get one of the sets of Stampin' Spots. The Stampin' Spots are like mini Classic Stampin' Pads--or about the same size as many "full-sized" ink pads I've seen in stores. Same ink, just in a smaller package and you get 10 or 11 colours at a time. You can get the Getting Started Collection of Stampin' Spots on page 174 or look on the following pages where you will see that each of the sets of the Collection colours (not the In Color series) have their own set of Stampin' Spots you can order. **You can get the Classic Stampin' Spots Getting Started Collection for 40% off right now: only $16.17 instead of $26.95!**

On to some projects...

Christmas is on its way and this is the perfect time to share with you the Serene Snowflakes stamp set from p. 36 of the Idea Book and Catalogue. I love this stamp set. I bought it back in May or June, deciding to get some things ahead of time for Christmas card-making. Since it was for Christmas, it got hidden away with other Christmas stamps. As I prepared a fall stamp order, as soon as I hit the page with the Serene Snowflakes stamp set in the catalogue, I wrote it down as a must-have. I had completely forgotten that I had already bought it! What a joy to discover it among my stamp sets! lol. Good thing I checked what I had before placing an order. ;)

Here is one card I've created with this stamp set:



I took Whisper White card stock and stamped the front with the smallest of the stamps, just kind of here and there, making sure to hang over the edge in some places, then I put it through the Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder. I then used a separate stamp from the set (unfortunately, it doesn't show up well in the photo at all) and stamped the Night of Navy card stock with Night of Navy ink, kind of like a watermark feature. The VersaMark can give the same effect. The snowflake on the topmost level is the largest stamp. There is no punch; I had to trim it by hand. I then put a Basic Rhinestone (not sure which size) in the middle of that snowflake. I'd like to try this card with glitter or embossing sometime on the snowflakes that are stamped onto the blue card stock or the focal snowflake. I think it would really make it pop. You could also turn the card 90 degrees and present it horizontally, move the long blue band to another spot...

Here is one of the Christmas cards I made at my demonstrator's home for her Stamp-a-Stack:

She used the Snowflake Punch (p. 210 of the Idea Book and Catalogue) for the 3 snowflakes (I tried to make my own without the punch, just using the accompanying Simple Snowflake stamp and cutting around the image--it didn't work very well and took a lot of time to cut; the Snowflake Punch is on my list of things to order next). She used Wisteria Wonder card stock from the 2011-2013 In Color series, Concord Crush from the 2010-2012 In Color series (see p. 176 for both) and the silver Glimmer Paper available in the Mini. The stamp is one of the stamps from the Delightful Dozen stamp set and is stamped with the Concord Crush ink. It doesn't show up very well in the picture, but there is a beautiful light embossing on the topmost White Whisper card stock made with one of the plates from the Backgrounds 1 set of Texturz Plates. Specifically, if you look at the catalogue at the Texturz Plates section, it is the plate on the far left, but the flip side (the triangle image to the right). Does that make sense? lol. There are also Mini Brads to hold the snowflakes in place rather than glue or tape.

Since I feel like still sharing today ;), here is a card I'm working on. Or rather, part of a card I'm working on.
(Eek! Sorry for picture quality! I'm using my phone! lol)

I've used a stamp from the Every Little Bit stamp set. This is another of my favourite stamp sets. Every time I flip by it in the catalogue, I am pulled toward it. It's just a wonderful set and with so many stamps (28 in the set!), you can do so much with it. I just used the Basic Black ink and then watercolour pencils to colour the presents. Stampin' Up does sell a set of watercolour pencils, as well as watercolour paper (watercolour paper can sometimes be a necessity when doing watercolour effects--the water can cause regular card stock to bubble or deform!). The Stampin' Up pencil pack is a better price than what my current set is, but has just as many colours. My set is probably about 5 years old and barely touched, so I do admit to using that! I will get the Stampin' Up ones sometime to compare.

That's it for today. See you tomorrow!

Have you been looking through the catalogues at all? Working on your list of things you'd like to have ordered and delivered before Christmas? If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to contact me through Facebook or email: emicolas@yahoo.ca.

P.S. Don't forget about the Holiday Extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment